Thursday, February 20, 2003

One of the exciting things I did during the snow was walk over to the movie theater and see "Dare Devil". (One of the great things about living in my neighborhood is that I can walk to just about everything.) I thought it was a fun movie, well worth the mantinee price for a couple hours of escape from cabin fever. My son's review was, "it was cool, but not as good a spider man". I am not familiar with "Dare Devil" in the Marvel Comics series, so I didn't have that comparison, and maybe not going into the film with any expectations added to my enjoyment. The movie had a dark look and feel. Most of the action takes place at night in the back alleys of Manhattan. It also has a spiritual element to it. The movie opens in a church, with an interaction between a priest and "dare devil" who appears to be mortally wounded. The charachter's life begins to flash before his eyes and the retelling of his life story up to the point of the encounter in the church makes up the bulk of the film. The charachter's spiritual struggle is about the tension between revenge and justice. In the end he side's with his priest, who tells him that "vengence belongs to the Lord". Of course he comes to this conclusion after an hour and a half or so of exacting vengence on all his various enemies. The film ends with a set-up for the coming sequal(s). Don't walk out at the beginning of the credits, or you'll miss one piece of the set-up. christianity today has exepts from various citics, both pro "Dare Devil" and con. If your interested in what the secular media has to say check out my favorite--rotten tomatoes, who's Tomatoe Meter rating for the film is 47%, putting it in the rotten catagory.

No comments: